Suzuki Marauder 125 Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

n/s shock and tappets

2 posters

Go down

n/s shock and tappets Empty n/s shock and tappets

Post  james.t Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:55 am

hi all
back in June i had my front shocks mended but today n/s is leaking again.
is this just bad luck or is the piston worn too much inside.
will take it back to the garage and see what they say.

my exhaust tappet is a bit noise so read the manual and it said the timing chain might be loose so had a look at bike completely different to the manual.
took the big screws over the tappets but cant see where the feller gauge goes .
so not having much luck and its only Monday
james
james.t
james.t

Back to top Go down

n/s shock and tappets Empty Re: n/s shock and tappets

Post  Admin Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi James

Sorry to hear about your leaking forks, as the garage did the work i'm sure they have to rectify the problem under their guarantee. The tappets are a bit of a bugger to do, but once you've done em once there easy. You will need to bend the end of the feeler guage to fit under the adjuster screw. Arm yourself the Haynes manual as well (No.0888, Suzuki GS, GN, GZ & DR125)

1, Take off your tank, and the caps to the tappets.
2, Take off the side cap and 17mm bolt which covers the timing mark on the left engine case.
3, Rotate the engine with a socket and align the timing mark on the flywheel with the mark on the engine case. The marks are either on or in the 180 degree out position. When the marks are on you will have some movement at the tappets in the 180 degree position there is no movement.
4, With the timing marks aligned take your feeler guage and probe the gap between the tappet adjuster screw and the spring top, it should be a tight sliding fit(and tighten up the locking nut) and re-check. The engine should be cold when you check the gaps.
5, Valve clearances cold Inlet= 0.03-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in) Exhaust= 0.13-0.18 (0.005-0.007 in)
6, Double check your clearances and replace the caps and tank and start up Very Happy

Regards Bob
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://suzukimarauderowners.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  james.t Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:46 am

hi all.
the garage where very good they said it free as we did it not long ago
and they are going to have a look at the tappets as i might just be paranoid about a little noise
coming from the engine.
OK thanks for the write up about tappets
James
james.t
james.t

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi James

I've done the tappets a few times now and seem to have the knack, they always go if you ride the bike hard over a period of time and it always seems to be the inlet side that needs adjusting. Laughing

I don't take the tank off on mine cus of the injection system and return feeds to the tank, but I do wedge the tank in the air on a piece of wood to get clearance. i figured that out after the first time with petrol going everywhere after I broke into the injection system to remove the tank Shocked

I figured the problem out with my machine(low top end speed) The CDI is the wrong one, because my machine is not in warranty i've got too live with it or change it. I've been waiting for an injection model to get broken up for spares on ebay.

Regards

Bob
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://suzukimarauderowners.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  james.t Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 am

o for a older model.

vales are fine its me being paranoid
but thanks for that essay nice reading